gemology ~ come play with me

blue topaz & golden citrine quartz
What is it about shiny objects that we are attracted to? This is not just a human trait, as other species like fish and birds share our affinity to light-catching objects. The way a material captures light seems to hold an unexplained magic. Since I was a child I remember being captivated by quartz crystals sparkling on the playground. Now with the microscope, I explore tiny landscapes uncannily similar to their macro counterparts -seeing mountain ranges, valleys, whispy clouds, liquid and gas bubbles, even tiny creatures trapped inside, a frozen moment in time. Each detail tells a different story -whether or not a gemstone is natural, lab-grown, or glass. What was the process that nature used to create that stone, and what minerals were present for the miracle of color to happen? Personally I have never been a girl for bling, or faceted stones, but learning brought a new appreciation for each gem and it's unique characteristics.
I can identify gemstones, grade diamonds, but for me gemology is another way to study the language that the universe has woven into form.

No comments:

Post a Comment